Hello Everyone! We are beyond honored to introduce today’s guest on the podcast, Ryan Hurst, Co-Founder and Head Coach at GMB Fitness. After a training accident ended his competitive gymnastics career, Ryan moved to Japan and competed in various martial arts until another injury made him reevaluate his priorities in life. Since then, Ryan has devoted his life to coaching others in strength and movement, but always lets his philosophy of “training for a healthy life” lead the way. He has lived in Osaka, Japan for the last 25 years, is a father to two young children, and the most important thing to him is to be able to play with them without pain or fear of injury. His mission is to show everyone that you can define your own fitness as a sustainable and enjoyable part of your life. He holds black belts in Kendo, Judo, and Shorinji Kempo, a purple belt in BJJ, and practiced 10 years as a competitive gymnast.
What we discuss
- How Ryan's long history with gymnastics, martial arts and the outdoors shaped his mindset and work ethic;
- His move to Japan as a student and dedication towards the practice of Kendo and Judo;
- Meeting his business partners Andy Fossett and Jarlo Ilano, and the beginning of GMB Fitness;
- The importance of making fitness simple, accessible and efficient for each person's personal needs;
- Truly understanding the WHY behind your movement practice and how it helps streamline the path to results;
- Prevalent myths of fitness and how they actually limit our health & well-being;
- Significant benefits of being process-, rather than results-oriented in our movement practices.
In this episode
- Book The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results
- Book Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art
Get in touch with Ryan Hurst
Thank you for tuning in! Please leave a review and share with those you think would enjoy listening!